Book Review #53: Something Blue by Emily Giffin


Hey Guys x

So you might have seen, last week I uploaded a book review of 'Something Borrowed', which you can check out here

This book is the sequel, carried on from the moment that the last book ended. I bought it as soon as I read the first one as I had become so invested in the lives of these women and was desperate to see what happened next!

At the end of the last book, we see Darcy Rhone find out that her best friend Rachel, and her fiancé Dex, have been having an affair. She had also been having an affair and was pregnant with another man's baby, but that's neither here nor there. The point is, Darcy has been betrayed, and Rachel and Dex are solely to blame. But as more and more people leave Darcy's life, she realises that she needs a fresh start, in a fresh country. So she goes to London to 'visit' her childhood friend Ethan, promising to only stay for a few weeks. But as an unmarried, unemployed, pregnant Darcy spends more time in London, she begins to see the flaws about her character that stopped her from having happiness back in the US. But will London, and Ethan, be the key to fixing these problems before she becomes a mother?

In my opinion, this book was a lot better than the first one, and if this could be made into a movie (with Kate Hudson and John Krasinski reclaiming their parts from the first film) then I would definitely watch it. Hell, I would campaign for this to be made because I loved it so much!

It's very much what would be described as fluff. Of course, Darcy seemingly has an epiphany, but the book itself isn't full of life-changing things, and that's great because it doesn't have to be. I for one, love to watch and read about people changing their lives and falling in love, and this is perfect for both of these things!

At first, I didn't think I'd like the book. In the first book, Darcy was an awful character through Rachel's eyes, and when the book began, it was much of the same. Darcy was selfish and narcissistic and I hated her as a character. However, I think this was necessary. Because Darcy's character development from the beginning to the end of the book is some of the best character development that I've ever read about. You see her make all these little changes, and by the end she is one of my favourite characters ever. I love the girl, and I never thought I'd say that.

And then I have to talk about Ethan. In the 'Something Borrowed' review, I mentioned that I was upset because I wanted to know more about him. Well, this book certainly took care of that! I love him as character, and we definitely need male book protagonists like him who tell people about themselves without beating around the bush or having to appear perfect so that women fall in love with them. Ethan is a real friend to Darcy and that makes me respect him so much more than if he were a two dimensional 'love interest'.

What was good?
As I already mentioned, Darcy's character development was amazing. She turned from a character that I hated to a character that I really loved. Plus, it was nice to read about London from an external point of view, as someone who lives here and doesn't really appreciate it as much as I should.

What was bad?
The beginning of the book was annoying for me because a lot of it was repeating things from the first book but from a different point of view. Also, because I knew that she was going to London, all I wanted was for her to get to London, which took almost 200 pages!

Overall
I can't recommend this book enough. I recommend it more than 'Something Borrowed' and I could not say enough good things about it. Read the first one first, but definitely read this one too!

Lou

Comments

Popular Posts

Se7en | 100 Movies Bucket List

One Day | TV Show Review

Upgraded | Film Review

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

Where Rainbows End vs. Love, Rosie | Film and Book Review