What I Learned From Sex and the City!


Hey Guys x

I've been watching Sex and the City for years, and I've learned a whole lot from it!

As someone who's never had a relationship, I know for sure that I will be able to handle any situation that comes my way in the future because of this show!

If you never watched it, start watching it because it will change your life!

These things that I've learned are specific to my thoughts about relationships, I'm definitely not telling anyone else how to live their lives

Also, as the title of the show suggests, this post may talk about sex a bit but that's just to be expected and obviously won't be too graphic or anything!

Sex on the first date never ends well
Carrie and Mr Big sleep together on their first date. They had bumped into each other once or twice before this but this was their first extended period of time together. Carrie thought everything went well, but she later in the series found out that Big had major commitment issues, and she regrets sleeping with him on the first date and getting too attached. From my point of view, it you want a long lasting relationship, get to know the person before you let them into the forest of your righteous truth on the first date (10 points for everyone that gets that reference - comment below!)

Personality is more important than looks
"Sexy is what I get them to see me as after I win them over with my personality" - Miranda
One of my favourite things about the show is that, out of the 4 girls, 3 of them ended up with guys that may not be seen as conventionally good looking. Charlotte and Miranda in particular fell in love with guys that they tried not to like, but ended up falling for because of their personalities. I love this because it's so true to real life, personality definitely beats looks!

Friends are better than guys
"Maybe we could be each other's soul mates. And then we can let men be just these great, nice guys to have fun with" - Charlotte
The basis of this show is four friends. That's it, four friends. No matter what happens in their lives, they're friends. They have their ups and downs, but they know that their friendship is the most important thing and try not to let anything come between them, and I really love this. While watching it, if two of the girls were having an argument, it hurt me more than if they broke up with a guy, because it means so much more.

Being single isn't the worst thing in the world
In the series, there are a lot of times when the girls are single. I remember one episode where three of the girls had somewhere to go on a Saturday night, and Miranda was more than happy to stay home and have a date with her favourite TV show 'Jules and Mimi', and this is just so me! I love the fact that she was completely happy with this and that the other girls didn't care that she didn't have a boyfriend, they were cool with her the way she was. Another amazing instance of singledom occurred when Carrie was made to feel bad for not having a wedding/children, so she decided to marry herself. It was such a strong, empowering thing and I thought it was amazing!

If it doesn't work, don't hold onto it
"You and I are like that red wall. It's a good idea in theory, but somehow it doesn't quite work" - Carrie
I think this is really important. There are a lot of times in the show where someone tries to make a relationship work even though there's nothing that they can do, the two just don't fit together and it never would have worked. One example is Carrie's relationship with Berger. But the important thing to remember is, you can only try so hard before you have a to give up and call it a day. If something isn't meant to be, it won't be.

Love... just love
"Somewhere out there is another little freak who will love us and understand us and kiss our three heads and make it all better" - Carrie
Overall, the one thing that I take from this show is how great love is. The show left its viewers feeling optimistic - all the girls ended up with guys that they love and guys that are right for them, and I think that this was great because, although it might not be completely realistic, it gives us hope. It tells us that, after all the shit experiences, there will be someone that will accept everything about you. All you have to do is wait for them.

Thank you for reading.

Comment below what you've learned from your favourite TV show.

Keep Smiling - Lou xx

Comments

Popular Posts

Where Rainbows End vs. Love, Rosie | Film and Book Review

One Day | TV Show Review

Se7en | 100 Movies Bucket List

Upgraded | Film Review

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'