Lights Out | Film Review

Image result

Hey Guys x

I haven't done a movie review in quite a while, but I finished watching this film about 10 minutes ago, so I thought I'd better review it while it's still in my brain!

In short, the film is about a girl and her younger brother who are being terrorised by someone called 'Diana' who can only come out in the dark (hence the film title). With the help of the girl's boyfriend, they confront their mother, who has something to do with the mystery of Diana and why she chose them to terrorise.

I love the concept of this film. I am a huge fan of horror films and I love when the ideas are completely original, as this one was to me. Such a simple idea was played out really well.

I really enjoyed this film. The element of the dark made it that much more spooky, and if you're watching it in the dark, you'll definitely jump once or twice!

What I found with this film, as with a lot of other horror films, the element of horror was more important and took precedence over the dialogue and the relationships between the characters. This isn't necessarily a bad thing because you watch a horror movie for the horror, not for the drama or for all the problems to be solved by a lot of hugs and a group therapy session. However, I'm going to watch it again because I feel like I still don't really get Diana, as a horror villain, and I'm still a bit unclear as to the exact nature of her relationship with the mother - why were they connected?

The opening scene of the film was one of the best. It is the opening scene in the trailer (which you can see here!) and it was the one scene that really got me excited for the film. It isn't just your typical 'be afraid of the dark' film, and I've seen a fair few of those!

All of the actors were great, I really believed that they were scared of Diana, and they didn't do any of the stupid things that people usually do in horror movies that get them killed (apart from the scene where they think that the basement is the best place to hide, I mean, when in a film is the basement ever the best place to hide??)

And I have to give a special shout out to the boyfriend character, who was particularly amazing. He was the nicest guy, and near the end, without giving anything away, he didn't do what a lot of boyfriends would have done. For a supporting character in a horror movie, I thought he was quite 3 dimensional and would have loved to see a rom com between them, as their relationship was great!

Overall, if you're a horror fan, you're really missing something by not seeing this film - and I'd definitely recommend it!

Thank you for reading!

Comment below your favourite horror film!

Keep Smiling - Lou xx

Comments

  1. Ooh, I love horror films so I need to give this a watch!
    Aleeha xXx
    http://www.halesaaw.com/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment xx

Popular Posts

Snatch | 100 Movies Bucket List

Miller's Girl | Film Review

Book Review #127: The Hawthorne Legacy by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

Girl Talk: Summer Fashion