The Uber Rant!


Hey Guys x

It's been a good while since I've done a rant!

Since I have begun using Uber, there are some things that really annoy me, that I thought I'd rant about.

But before starting, I have to say, this is all light-hearted. I'm so grateful to Uber for being one of the cheapest taxi services ever, and for getting me from A-B and back when public transport just isn't for me.

Having said that, let's get into the rant!

Creepy Pictures
For anyone who doesn't use Uber, when you call your car, they send you a the car license plate, the car make, and the name and picture of the driver. I think this is great and just adds an element of safety that really is needed. However, some of the pictures of these drivers are just... kind of creepy. They never look the same as they look in real life anyway, so why not spend a bit of time getting a nice picture? Like, it always sets me a bit on edge when I get the picture back and the driver looks a bit scary. I guess this is because, being in a car for a long journey with only one other person is a big thing, a weird experience that you can't replicate in any other service - so if I'm doing this, I want to feel 100% safe in the car. A creepy picture makes me feel much less safe!

Alternative Routes
Now, I don't mind drivers going to the destination in different ways if they know what they're doing and can get you there in the same, or less, time. But when the driver doesn't know what they're doing, they use an alternative route, ignore the satnav, and you end up in the car for so much longer than you would have, and end up paying a lot more than you would have, it's really annoying! Especially if it's a route that you yourself know well! I'd much prefer a driver to completely follow the satnav rather than try to find a backstreet that will save time - unless they know it really well!

To Chat Or Not To Chat?
I wish that all drivers would come to an agreement. Either, they're going to be polite and ask you about your day, they're going to chat with you throughout the journey, or they're going to completely ignore you. In my experience, most of my drivers have just ignored me once I give them the destination, but when I get one that wants to chat, it throws me off because I never expect it and then they feel like I don't want to talk because I was thrown off by their conversation. And sometimes I do want to chat, but they don't - it's weird!

Weather vs Windows
Now, this might be personal to me because I hate opening or closing the windows in an Uber, just because it's not my car and I feel self conscious about doing anything other that sitting and waiting to arrive. So, when the weather is really hot, and the driver has all the windows closed tight - or when it's cold but the windows are wide open, it really annoys me because I feel like I can't do anything about it! In my mind, it's their car, and they're doing me a favour by driving me, so I shouldn't complain about or ask for anything - which makes for a few very uncomfortable journeys!

Phone Calls?
Have you ever spoken on the phone in an Uber? I haven't, because again, it makes me feel self-conscious. Like, I shouldn't be on the phone in case it annoys the driver or in case they want to talk to me or something. However, if I'm meeting someone at my destination, this can be annoying too.

The Awkward Wait
This is something that not all drivers do, but depending on where I'm being dropped, I don't like it! This wait is after you get to your destination, and you get out and say thank you and whatever, but the driver stays watching you until you're out of sight. If they're taking me home, I hate this because I don't particularly want them to know where I live or anything (when I give an address, I only give the postcode), but having said that, if I'm going to a really busy area (for example, I went to Camden last week) and the driver drives away literally the second the door shuts, I feel completely trapped and unsafe.

As you can tell, a lot of these things are my personal problems with the service, and most have to do with my own self-consciousness and insecurity, rather than Uber in general.

Thank you for reading!

Do you use Uber? Let me know what you think of it in the comments!

Keep Smiling - Lou xx

Comments

  1. I don't use Uber taxis but it sounds like a very self-conscious ride!! I wouldn't want them watching me until I fade into the distance or the awkward silence. That is why I hardly ever use them!!
    Lauren xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, it's the most awkward thing! xx

      Delete
  2. I haven't ever used an uber, however in taxis I have experienced the agonising wait for them to shut or open the windows (sometimes I'd rather be really cold than say something!)
    Hope your experiences go a little better in the future!
    Chloe X
    www.thoughtfulclouds.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm exactly the same, it's so much easier to suffer in silence than to make a fuss! Thank you xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment xx

Popular Posts

Road House (2024) | Film Review

Wonka | Film Review

Scarface (1983) | 100 Movies Bucket List

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

American Psycho | 100 Movies Bucket List