Book Review #48: This Modern Love by Will Darbyshire


Hey Guys x

Aside from the Fletchers, I've been steering clear of YouTuber books lately - mainly because none have really been appealing to me.

However, when I heard about this book, I pre-ordered it immediately because it was right up my alley and just the kind of thing that I'd love to read.

This book is a collection of letters (and emails, pictures and words). Secret admirer letters, not-so-secret admirer letters, love letters and break-up letters. Through these, Will was trying to explore love in the modern era, with the addition of technology and social media. People from all over the world, of all ages, sent in their letters, pictures and words to help determine the messy business of relationships and what makes them worth it.

I loved this book!

I mean, the idea is so simple, but I've never read anything like it before! As someone who is a huge lover of romance, of course I'd love a book about a collection of letters, and I found that whether the letters were funny, sad, romantic or soul-destroying, they were amazing to read - particularly for someone who's never been in love. It was so great to be able to see all the sages of a relationship and the ways that the different people handled these situations.

For example, with the break-up letters, I assumed that most of them would be really angry and bitter - and some of them were. But what surprised me was that, some of them weren't. Some of them were still loving, some even apologetic - and I loved it. I loved the different views that are represented and I love the way that Will presented them.

What was good?
Obviously the letters themselves, they were so real, so raw. You could tell exactly how people were feeling when they wrote those letters. But also, the way that they were categorised was interesting because, as I said before, they had all the stages of a relationship, from the 'crush' stage, to the sad end.

What was bad?
The only thing that I didn't like about this book was the fact that I didn't submit a letter or something for it! Not that I've been in the romance or break-up stage of a relationship, but I still felt like I would have been able to contribute something and I really wish that I had!

Overall
This book is amazing and you should all be reading it! No matter what stage of a relationship you're in, the book has something for everyone and is just so unique and romantic. Buy it!

Thank you for reading!

Comment below your opinion of this book!

Keep Smiling - Lou xx

Comments

  1. I think I heard Zoella mention this in a video. It sounds really interesting because it's such a unique book!
    Aleeha xXx
    http://www.halesaaw.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been so excited for this book but I haven't got one yet because I wasn't sure if it's be worth it but I think you've got me convinced to get a copy now :)

    Carolyn x
    Stained Glass Stars

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment xx

Popular Posts

Wonka | Film Review

Scarface (1983) | 100 Movies Bucket List

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

American Psycho | 100 Movies Bucket List

The Matrix | 100 Movies Bucket List