Book Review #47: Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon



Hey Guys x

This book was a part of Zoella's book club, so when it came up in my amazon recommendations, I decided on a whim to just buy it, and I am so glad I did!

The book is about a girl called Maddy, who is allergic to the world. When I told my sister about the book, I had to explain what this meant, so I'll explain it here too. She's not scared of the world, she's literally allergic. If she leaves her house, she'll get sick and maybe even die, so she has to live without ever experiencing the outside world. Enter Olly, the cute boy next door who Maddy has no choice but to stay away from. However, when Olly finds a way to communicate, Maddy has to decide whether or not to risk everything for love, and by everything, she really means everything.

I really enjoyed this book, I thought it was so interesting. It wasn't just written in the form of a book, but in notes, instant messages, drawings, I loved it!

The character of Maddy is such a unique character in every way - like the initial fact that she can't go outside. But also, the way she thinks, the way she speaks is so unique to other characters that I instantly took a liking to her. Plus, I like the fact that the author made a point of making Maddy a 'POC', she's half Japanese, half African American, and again, this just added to her uniqueness.

The other characters are also really unique, and it's so great. Without a doubt, my favourite character is Carla, Maddy's nurse, because she's awesome! She's the best mix of both a friend and a parental figure and everyone needs a Carla in their lives - someone who can be reckless to a point, and then knows when to be sensible again. And then there's Olly, the 'hero' in a sense, the main man. I don't know how I feel about Olly really. There are some things about him that I really liked, and other things that I didn't. However, I didn't fall in love with him like I wanted to, and I don't really know what Maddy liked that much about him. I mean, at times, it felt like she liked him because he was the first guy to show interest, but that's not necessarily a bad thing!

And I have to dedicate a bit of time to the ending. Of course, I will not spoil anything, but I loved the ending! There were parts of me that kind of guessed what would happen, but I was still really surprised! Whether you guess it or not, it's an incredible way to end Maddy's story and I think it was written so well!

What was good?
Everything, Everything! Honestly, everything! It was such an easy, quick read for all ages, and there were so many different characters and dynamics that kept the story so entertaining and exciting! I liked the fact that it was a drama, but there were romantic aspects, some comedic aspects, there were many things that came together to make for an awesome debut novel!

What was bad?
I said this before, the only thing that I maybe didn't like, was that I didn't fall for Olly as much as I would have liked to.

Overall
Read this book! It is such a great read and once you've read it, you won't be able to stop thinking about it, because I certainly haven't! You will not be disappointed!

Thank you for reading!

Comment below what you think of Everything, Everything!

Keep Smiling - Lou xx

Comments

Popular Posts

Road House (2024) | Film Review

Wonka | Film Review

Scarface (1983) | 100 Movies Bucket List

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

American Psycho | 100 Movies Bucket List