Faking Confidence!



Hey Guys x

First of all, I've changed my blog design, which you've probably noticed! Let me know what you think about it!

I'm really happy with it, and if you want me to write a post either about how I did it or why I chose certain things, leave me a comment and I'll write that!

I also want to thank Peace Firestone so much for her help. She spent a lot of time with me this morning helping me and making sure that my blog looked perfect and everything was readable. Her advice was amazing and I'm really really grateful for it, so thank you so much Peace!

Now I want to talk about confidence, and this ties in with my blog design.

When I was changing everything, I had to have confidence that I knew what I was doing. I made a lot of mistakes, which some of you might know if you were on my blog at midnight this morning to see the weird in-between stages where the mistakes were visible for the world to see!

And I wasn't confident, in fact, I was freaking out! I thought I was going to have a header that was too big and a black box around my posts and all the words would be the wrong colours and clash with the background and it was really scary, especially because my blog means so much to me and a bad design means that I wouldn't be able to attract new viewers.

And this is kind of like confidence in real life situations.

For example, when you have to meet a lot of new people at one time, for school, college, university, work etc, you want to come across as confident.

But a lot of the time, we're not. In fact, we'd rather be anywhere else than in that room with those people facing us and looking around nervously. Well, I would anyway!

However, I only have one piece of advice for situations like this, and it really helps me. 'Fake it 'til you make it'. Fake your confidence!

I recently had a university taster day, where you go in and meet people doing your course and some lecturers who give you a taster for the kind of things you'll be doing.

It was terrifying. I remember walking into the room to see a lot of people sitting at tables and talking to other people around the room. I was drenched from the rain, hot from walking quickly to try and find the right room in the first place, and my heart was pounding out of my chest at the thought of actually going up to people and starting a conversation.

So at first, I stood off to the side and pretended to flick through the pack that they'd given us. But then I looked around, and saw a girl also standing alone, flicking through a pack.

I was not feeling confident in the slightest, but I decided to just go for it and introduce myself to her. What was the worst that could happen?

So I did, and we had a conversation and it was nice. But the same thing happened again when she decided to go and look for a toilet.

But this time, the faked confidence had kind of merged with my fear and made me feel ready to talk to more people, and the next person that I went up to ended up being someone that I spent the whole day with, swapped numbers with, and still talk to and make plans with now, and it's been about 3 weeks. And that's not all, I actually talked to a lot of people and found out a lot of interesting things about the people that will be spending the next 3 or so years with me.

So that was my personal experience. Faking confidence is great because no one aside from you knows that you weren't feeling that confidence in the first place anyway!

And, hopefully, eventually you won't have to fake that confidence anymore, because you'll already feel the confidence that you were pretending to feel!

I hope this helps anyone who's unconfident about starting a new school, college, university or workplace this month/year!

Thank you for reading

Comment below your confidence tips to help me (and other readers) out!

Keep Smiling - Lou xx

Comments

  1. Beautiful blog design, I'd love to know how you did it. xx I have to fake confidence a lot and most of the time it really helps me. I think its a bit like a placebo affect. I trick myself into believing that I've actually gain confidence xxx Lovely post xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I definitely agree that it's a placebo effect!

      Delete
  2. I would love to know how you do it. It really looks great. Xx

    Emsworld11.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know, I'll definitely do a post about it! xx

      Delete
  3. Yep, exact same thing happened to me lol, I love changing blog designs and yours looks great, it feels like a new fresh start in a way! Xoxo
    Ella

    ellacrabb.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so important! I fake confidence all of the time (like when I told you my honest opinion on your blog design haha). This reminded me that it's ok to make mistakes and to put on a brave face sometimes. You never know what may happen if you have courage! :)

    Peace xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. The new design looks great! I always try and fake confidence and it often helps just to fake it and I just feel more confident eventually!

    TheDonkeyInvasion - A Bookish Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Would really love a post explaining how you designed your blog! And thanks for this post- I really needed to read something like this cause I'm off to uni in a couple of weeks too and as so scared about meeting coursemates. I'll hopefully make at least one friend ^.^

    goodmorningbelle.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, I'll definitely do one! You'll definitely make at least one friend, if not more xx

      Delete
  7. This is exactly how I would describe it if I knew, lolls. This is so true. I'm not one to start up a convo, but to just relax, and take a step to talking (sounds weird how I said it), does help most times. Anyway, really great blog post, and I was surprised, goodly by your blog change, when the colours came up. It looks so stylish, so good work for both you and +PeaceFirestone. Take care always.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment xx

Popular Posts

Where Rainbows End vs. Love, Rosie | Film and Book Review

One Day | TV Show Review

Se7en | 100 Movies Bucket List

Upgraded | Film Review

April Favourites | 2015