If I Stay | Film Review



Hey Guys x

This film is also a book, which I reviewed here last September.

I saw this film for the first time a couple of weeks ago when it came on a Sky Movies for the first time. I had always wanted to watch it because I really enjoyed reading the book.

But I have to say - and this is probably the only time I'll ever say this - the film was so much better than the book!

It's about a girl called Mia who lives with her parents and younger brother Teddy. The film shows two completely different times. On the one hand, it shows Mia's life leading up to the main 'incident' of the film, and on the other hand, it shows everything that happens after the incident. In the film, Mia has to make some really tough decisions. I don't want to give too much away, but the main decision is whether she should stay or go, and there are a lot of reasons to do both, which is hard to digest, especially for a 7 year old.

This film touched me in so many different ways - and reduced me to tears a few times!

The thing that I found the most... heavy, is her decision. Whether she should stay or go. I can't help putting myself in the same situation that she's in, thinking about whether I would stay or go. Whether anyone would choose to stay or go. Whether we actually get the choice, or whether everything is decided for us. It's intense!

But, the way that Mia's flashbacks were shown was amazing! You could completely tell what they were supposed to be and it really resonated with me, as a viewer.

On the part of the author, Gayle Forman, this was really clever. It would have been so much harder to sympathise with Mia and her family if we had no knowledge of who they are of what impact these problems have on them.

Through Mia's eyes, we see every important moment, every moment that comes into her decision-making. And it really makes me think about the defining moments in my life. And if I had to make that kind of decision, which people I'd be thinking about.

More than that though, the actors were really exceptional. Watching the film, I became completely engrossed and I really believed that I was watching someone who was making the toughest decision of their life, so props to Chloe Mortez and the rest of the cast. They were amazing!

Overall, I really think you guys should watch this movie, even if you haven't read the book. It's just such a nice film to watch - and cry about!

Thank you for reading

Comment below the last film you watched!

Keep Smiling - Lou xx

Comments

  1. OMG yesss!!!!! This probably has to be one of my favorite movies!! especially how beautifully the movie was shot <3 Like that scene where Mia is walking towards the light <3 That part had me breath taken :) So excited that you got around to seeing it!

    -Crystal
    http://crystallizeddaisies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this movie! I have also read the book so even though I knew how it ended I still loved it when I went to see it. I'm currently reading the sequel book called "where she went" and so far its as good as the first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been contemplating whether I should watch this, so thank you.

    http://myprettylifeblog.blogspot.co.nz/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally agree with you, the movie was much better than the book. My favourite part of the movie was the music. Her cello playing gave me chills! xx

    mejordyn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this movie and when I found out the book had a sequel I read it then hoped it would turn into a movie. Still hoping! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen this film and the book everywhere in shops and being blogged about but I haven't read or seen it . I think I might have to go pick them up though because from what you say it sounds great, especially the book :)

    lots of love, Marianne xxx

    http://myhappybubblexx.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been thinking of seeing this movie for a while, and after reading this I would like to watch the movie. I want read the book too :)

    Jess
    http://springbaby06.blogspot.com
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh
    Is is like my Favourite book/film ever. It's so sad and so happy at the same time xoxo
    Ella

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment xx

Popular Posts

Snatch | 100 Movies Bucket List

Miller's Girl | Film Review

Book Review #127: The Hawthorne Legacy by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

Girl Talk: Summer Fashion