How To: Deal With Rejection | Advice

DISCLAIMER: This post isn't about rejection in a relationship. Maybe some of the things I say can be applied to it, but that isn't the intention as I have no idea how to deal with relationship rejection. This is about getting rejected from a job or a university or something.

At some point in our lives, we will all probably face rejection.

I faced a rejection last week and let me be the first to say that it feels horrible, and makes you feel horrible.

But planning this post has really helped me to deal with it. This is because, thinking up things to help you guys out has kind of resulted in me helping myself out. So just know that I have tried my suggestions and they do work (for me!).

Even if you haven't been through a rejection yet, I hope you still enjoy reading this post!

Mourn the rejection
This may seem like a weird first step, but it's definitely the easiest one. If it was something that you really wanted, like a job, and you got turned down, you're allowed to feel down about it. You don't have to pretend you're happy if all you want to do is eat ice cream in bed with a laptop and Netflix or Youtube. If that's what you want to do, then you need to do it. Allow yourself to be sad for a bit. But not for too long, because then you'll never move on.

Talk about it
One of the best ways to get over anything is to tell people about it and to talk about it. As soon as I got my rejection, I immediately texted some of my friends, and their responses made me feel instantly so much better about it. Of course it still hurt to be rejected, but knowing that you have the support of friends and family is really helpful and will make you feel so much better!

Appreciate acceptance
This one requires actually doing something. Get a piece of paper and a pen (equally you could use a laptop or phone, but in my opinion, nothing beats pen and paper!) and write a list of things that you have been accepted for or achieved. This can be anything. For example 'I got in to my school' or 'I won this award'. A lot of the time, getting rejected for something makes us forget all of the things that we have actually achieved. So if you remember what you're capable of, you'll feel better about your rejection.

Accept it
This one is really important. To truly get over something, you have to accept it. If you got rejected for a job, say to yourself 'I got rejected. These things happen. It's not the end of the world'. This will help you to put it into perspective. You are not the only person to be rejected and you will not be the last person to be rejected. To be honest, shit happens (excuse my language) and in life, we have to be somewhat prepared to deal with that. It's hard, but we wouldn't be able to survive if we expected everything in life to be amazing.

Find other options
This is the last piece of advice that I have. Finding other options. This doesn't apply for absolutely everything, but if you had you heart set on something, and got rejected, then start thinking about making something happen in a different way. When one door closes, a key appears to open an alternative door. The only job you have, is to find it.

I really hope this post helped you if you needed it.

Thank you for reading.

Comment below your rejection advice!

Keep Smiling - Lou xx

Comments

  1. This is a great piece of advice and a lot of this applied to me last year when I was applying to University. I got rejected a week after I put in my application and felt so down that I didn't think it was worth going through this process but if I did that, I wouldn't be at University now. :) X

    blogsandpearls.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you. I'm glad everything worked out for you xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment xx

Popular Posts

Snatch | 100 Movies Bucket List

American Psycho | 100 Movies Bucket List

Miller's Girl | Film Review

Book Review #127: The Hawthorne Legacy by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'